Monday, July 25, 2011

Class reflections

Class on Friday was very interesting and enjoyable. I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed both Kristin and Jeff's section of the class. As an avid podcast listener, I was both excited and nervous to create my own. However, once I got going on it, I was more excited than nervous. The program Aviary is amazing, and I look forward to using it more in the future. It was really nice that we were able to share our podcasts on the wiki page with one another, as it was fun listening to what everyone had to say, and to be able to hear about the various edubloggers out there that people are enjoying.
Another application I learned about from Kristin was Evernote. I downloaded it and have been using it to keep organized. It's a great application as I'm able to put webpages in it, web links, youtube videos, really anything, and it keeps it all in storage. As I sometimes having a difficult time remembering all the different websites and information pages we are shown in class, Evernote has shown to be really helpful in that aspect.
I thought Jeff's section of the class was fantastic. I really enjoyed the activity where we had to decipher the "code" on the sheet of paper. I think it is a great exercise for teachers to go through as it puts us in the shoes of struggling students. It made me realize how frustrating it can be to not understand something and how it's important to be sensitive to that. While Jeff, the teacher, was able to understand it all, we, the students, were pretty much lost and confused. He had to be patient and help us through it step by step, which was very helpful, until we were able to figure out what this code really meant. It was a great lesson in the importance of patience, both as a teacher and a student. It also showed the importance of teamwork. For example, my partner was able to understand some of the signs that I didn't, and I was able to understand some signs that she didn't. By putting what we both knew together, we were better able to guess at what the surrounding signs meant. Without each other, we would have been stuck from the beginning.
The code sheet is definitely something I will use again in the future as I believe that it has many lessons it can teach both students and teachers. I look forward to doing future podcasts, and plan on one day incorporating those into my classroom. Podcasts are a fun and interesting way for students to do reports, interviews, and much more. It is a good method for assessing students as well. Perhaps I could somehow combine a secret code activity with a podcast. Hmmm... the possibilities are endless.

3 comments:

  1. You're a genius, Char. One kind of activity that is often fun to do is to put students into the position of needing to understand something well enough to be able to describe it to someone else. I love the idea of students creating podcast descriptions of how to solve (or how to approach strategically) a puzzle like this one...or maybe a line by line analysis of a poem or segment of prose. Keep thinking about this...and remind me to show you a picture game that my mentor created.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also an avid listener of podcasts that was nervous to create my own. I was pleasantly surprised to have actually enjoyed the activity. It felt like I was creating my own talk radio show. I would love to use podcasts for a long term class project where students give regular updates in a topic that interests them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might be interested in an organizer called Delicious. I haven't used it, but one of my edublogger's reviewed it and recommends it. You can organize a whole bunch of stuff online and offline and access it all from any computer thereafter. I haven't tried it yet but might give it a go.

    ReplyDelete